Monday, March 8, 2010

{Monday Mama} Jaime

I've been on the lookout for stylish mums. The first person who I though of was my friend Jaime, author of the witty and often acerbic blog She Will Have Her Way. I love reading her 'Much Loved or Much Maligned' celebrity fashion posts, they are always spot on. In my opinion anyway.

It's often an exercise in practicality, being a mum. Wardrobe especially.

Every morning I would myself climbing into the same uniform. Jeans, converse, t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt underneath if it was cold. So often would I wear this, now the mere sight of converse/t-shirt/jeans nearly makes me want to retch!


Bor-ring!

And it’s completely pointless to look to magazines for inspiration. Photoshopping aside, I always feel completely deflated. Mostly because fashion editors and stylists seem to be on crack. Because in terms of the school drop off/pick up, this would be just perfect.

Photobucket

There has to be a middle ground, right? Where practicality meets style, and when you walk in somewhere you aren't instantly branded as 'mother'.

Versatility is what I embrace in my wardrobe. Now that I no longer have the luxury of time when it comes to putting an outfit together, I need to rely on combinations of clothes I can put together without even thinking, because more often than not getting out the door is all about speed.


While dresses don't always meet the criteria, I do love to wear them. And in the depths of an Australian summer, my wardrobe seems to be magically filling with tunic style dresses. They cover everything that seems to have stretched or bumped and seems to magically make me feel stylish.




These are a couple of rules I follow.

1. Never, ever be a high-panter. All high waisted pants does is make your ass look huge.
2. Supre is great for little on season cheap tops. Do not buy what the 16 year old manager is wearing, however.
3. Spend a little more on key pieces. The ones you’re going to be wearing over and over.
4. For winter, I’m going to buy the season jacket, you’ll get crazy amounts of wear out of it. Something like this one from Abercrombie & Fitch, that’s going to go with everything.



5. Espadrilles are brilliant. Gives me the height I so desperately need, but stability too.


If you have a opinion and some great ideas about fashion for mothers, we'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails